Suitable for workers in mining, construction and for any tradespeople who need to work at heights.
The course covers all aspects of safe access to heights
- legislative requirements,
- selection, use and maintenance of personal protective equipment,
- practical exercises of setting up fall arrest systems and the rescue of a suspended casualty.
Unit of competency RIIWHS204D Working Safely at Heights – CPD Points 8
NOTE: As of 1 January 2015 you will need a USI (Unique Student Identifier) to complete this course. For more information please call our office on 44729202 or go to http://southcoastcolleges.edu.au/usi-unique-student-identifier/
Working Safely at Heights – RIIWHS204D
This nationally accredited Work Safely at Heights course has been structured to provide candidates with the necessary practical skills and theoretical understanding to undertake work at height on a broad range of structures and differing environments; as well as working safely in the vicinity of unprotected edges or on steep ground.
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will gain knowledge of:
- Legislation and governance material relating to working at height
- What defines ’work at height’
- Hazard analysis and risk assessment
- Control measures for working at height
- Categories for working at height (work restraint, work positioning, fall arrest)
- Legal requirements for equipment inspection and record keeping
- Compliance, strengths and characteristics of height safety equipment
- Legal necessity for provision for rescue capability.
- Correct inspection, fitting and adjustment of harness (including suspension in harness)
- Participation in SWMS to control risks for working at height
- Selection, setup and rigging of anchor straps and slings
- Pre-use inspection, installation and use of work restraint techniques
- Pre-use inspection and use of single/twin leg fall arrest lanyards
- Pre-use inspection, installation and use of fall arrest blocks/inertia reels.
- Pre-use inspection, installation and use of temporary horizontal safety lines
- Pre-use inspection, installation and use of height safety connectors
- Introduction to rescue using a pre-rigged workplace rescue system.
Where appropriate additional client-specific topics will be covered.
Course Duration 1 Day
All successful candidates will receive a Statement of Attainment RIIWHS204D Working Safely at Heights and a personalised ID card as proof of their qualification.
To work at height it is a legal necessity to have received training.